Monday, January 24, 2011

Dead Dolphin

I don't know what's going on. Two weeks ago, I came across a dead baby dolphin on the beach here in Goa, while on my walk at sunset. I was quite distressed about it, but heard stories the subsequent days of dolphin sightings on the beach....Live dolphins!
I've been illustrating a 'sea' children's book all month, and it's a pleasure to be doing these watercolours by the sea, using the water from the sea. So it was especially exciting today, when I spotted a dolphin, alive and well, bobbing along with the waves very close to the shore. The light on the water was glorious today, and I decided to go for a swim this afternoon. While in the water, I saw two lifeguards pull a dead dolphin ashore. It had been dead for a few days, and had it's skin peeling off. I proceeded to do a watercolour of the burial ceremony, as the lifeguards dug a grave for it.

I bring all of this to light because, a couple of months ago, one of my hiberation dreams in Canada was of a dead seal and a polar bear being brought ashore. There was even a reindeer ( or perhaps an elk or Caribou) that was lying upside down on a sort of a trailer. I touched the seal/polar bear and asked if it would help me tell it's story.
I am hoping that these experiences that I see, help me tell the story of these creatures, so that I can translate in some form the beauty, magnificence and LIFE that exists all around us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sad! Dolphins are such gentle beautiful creatures it must've really hurt to see one dead like that!

Bee & Lotus said...

Thank you for sharing your life, dreams and art with us.
It is wonderful to see your artistic explorations :)

chelsea said...

Thanks for this post! Keep sharing.


Windows 7 | Seattle Homes

Ragpicker said...

Hey Prash! Thats quite sad...isnt it? Remember The Hitchhiker's Guide'? ..."So long, and thanks for all the fish", the dolphins had said before they left? :(

Anonymous said...

What water color brand do you use for your paintings? I am just curious...